12oz Strawberries/Raspberries, hulled
3 tsp Powdered Gelatine or 4 sheets of Gelatine
180ml/6fl.oz. Double Cream
1/2 teasp Vanilla Extract
1. Place 225g/8oz of the strawberries in a bowl and mash well. Set the remaining strawberries aside to use for decoration) Alternatively, place in a food processor and process until smooth. Pass the purée through a sieve, discard the seeds and set the juice aside.
2. If using powdered gelatine, heat about 60ml/2fl.oz of the milk until hot but not boiling then transfer to a small bowl and sprinkle the gelatine over the top. Immediately whisk for 1-2 minutes until the gelatine has dissolved. If using sheet gelatine, place 60ml/2fl.oz of the cold milk in a small bowl, break the gelatine up, add to the milk in the bowl and leave to soak for 10 minutes.
NB It is wise to check the instructions on the packet of gelatine you are using as various brands may have slightly different methods.
3. Place the remaining milk, cream, sugar and vanilla in a saucepan, heat gently to simmering point, stirring from time to time, then remove from the heat, stir in the gelatine mixture and continue to stir constantly for a couple of minutes until well blended.
4. Add the strawberry mixture to the milk mixture, mix until well incorporated, then pour into ramekins, allow to cool at room temperature then chill in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours, until well set.
5. To serve – place each ramekin in a small bowl with enough boiling water to come 3/4 of the way up the side of the ramekin. Leave for a few seconds only then loosen the top edges with a sharp knife, turn onto a small serving plate and garnish with the reserved strawberries.