I followed this recipe and it came out veryyyy goooood……
I followed suggestions from reviews and made some changes to the above recipe. Here are the changes made:
1) I used 4-5 hot italian sausages (uncooked) for sausage. Opened them up to get the ground meat inside. Mixed this with ground beef and cooked together as explained in the recipe
2) 4 (15 oz) cans chili beans in sauce, NOT drained.
3) I omitted the celery and tabasco sauce,
4) 1 jalapeno instead of chile peppers,
5) I made fresh bacon with thick cut strips and made pieces from it,
6) 1 cup of beer
7) Instead of using 2 (28oz) cans of diced tomatoes with juice, I used 3 (14 1/2 oz) can of diced tomatoes and 1 (14 1/2 oz) can of diced tomatoes with basil/oregano/garlic.
8) I cooked this in a slow cooker for 8-10 hours. We can refrigerate or freeze it, and reheat as well.
Toppings (optional) – Cheddar cheese shredded, Sour Cream, Green onions chopped, cilantro chopped, jalapenos chopped etc.