Fish – 2 pound (1 Kg, Cut into small 1 inch pieces)
Fenugreek Seed – 15
Ginger chopped – 1 inch piece
Garlic chopped – 8
Green chillies chopped – 4-5 chillies
Kudam puli – 2-3 pieces (aka. Dried Garcinia gummigutta/Malabar tamarind)
Onion – 1 medium sized, chopped. (If you have small onion/shallots, take just that, -or- some of that, and half onion)
Curry Leaf – 10-12
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat. Add fenugreek seeds and cook until golden brown.
- Add Chopped onion to the oil and Sauté until it is very soft and golden brown.
- Add 2 tsp’s of chili powder + 3 tsp of Kashmir chili + 1/4 tspn turmeric, and continue sautéing. Take it off the stove and allow it to cool.
- Grind above mixture with water once it cools down. Add enough water while grinding to get your desired consistency of fish curry.
- Heat oil in a Meen chatti (earthenware) or a deep pan, and Sauté finely chopped Ginger and curry leaf. Then add chopped garlic and chopped green chillies. Continue sautéing.
- Pour the ground mixture to the pan, add Kudam puli 2-3 pieces, and mix well. Once it boils add fish and allow it to boil for 3-4 mts. Then lower heat and simmer it for 20-30mts. Add some more curry leaf at the end, and turn the heat off. (Optional: You can add 1 tbspn of coconut oil at the end while adding curry leaf)